Thursday, April 21, 2011

E-Harmony for Birds?

We have a problem at our house...MOCKINGBIRDS. The last four weeks we have been awoken NIGHTLY by mockingbirds in our neighbors tree right next to our bedroom window. They started chirping around 1AM and the last few nights I have started hearing them as early as 11PM! They chirp chirp chirp ALL.NIGHT.LONG. We run a fan in our room as white noise PLUS Luke wears earplugs to bed and we're still woken up almost every night. Last night Luke said he wished we lived in Idaho so he could go out and take care of the problem, if you know what I mean.

Today at the dentist I was talking to the hygienist about our bird problem and she informed me they were mockingbirds. So in a google search I learned this...

Although all adult male mockingbirds sing during the day, only a bachelor sings at night. He stops doing that as soon as he wins a mate. What the person who emailed me was complaining about was a love song.

Law is on the side of love and the bird, for it is illegal to harm, harass, or remove the mockingbird. source


Great! So pretty much we are going to be suffering sleepless nights until this bird finds a lover. I wonder if you can buy female mockingbirds at the pet store...

3 comments:

Christina said...

Oh, that sounds awful. And it's not like it's someone's pet so that you can call the police. Good luck! Maybe get some better earplugs or some of those noise-canceling headphones.

Lisa Michelle said...

Maybe if I did that I would find a boy friend???

Unknown said...

Oh so that's what bird has been singing outside our window! I guess ours found a mate because I haven't heard him in a few weeks. I thought it was a bird with it's days and nights mixed up like a baby. Ha!