Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm back!

Sort of. I have a lot to share but not a lot of time right now. I was wondering though if anybody has a to-die-for red velvet cake recipe? Luke's birthday is Sunday and he has requested red velvet cake and Texas Caviar--I know, sounds like a disgusting combination. But what the birthday boy (or should I say old man) wants is what the birthday boy gets. I do have a plan A right now that does not require me donning an apron but if that falls through I am going to have to bake one myself (aaahhh!). So if you have an amazing red velvet cake recipe please let me know--I will owe you! I'll owe you even more if you fly out here and make it for me! : )

3 comments:

Who Knew . . . said...

I can't send you a recipie because I don't have one nor can I fly out there and make it for you (the flying isn't the problem it is the making that I can't do) but I can send you a dozen red velvet cupcakes if you would like. :)

More pictures and funny videos of Jordan please.

Christina said...

Here's the recipe I love... and while I'd love to fly out and make it for you, well, I think the ticket cost might be prohibitive. Top with your favorite cream cheese frosting and enjoy!

3.5 cups cake flour
0.5 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5 teaspoons salt
2 cups canola oil
2.25 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
0.33 cups red food coloring
1.5 teaspoons vanilla
1.25 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking soda
2.5 teaspoons white vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush the bottom and sides of the
pansn with melted butter and line with parchment paper (I prefer soft
butter rubbed all over and then flouring the pan)
2. In a large bowl, sift together the cake flour, cocoa powder, and
salt. Set aside.
3. Combine the oil and sugar and beat on medium speed.
4. Set the mixer to low speed and add the eggs, one at a time.
5. Add the red food coloring and vanilla in a slow stream and beat
until incorporated.
6. Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk in two batches,
starting with the flour.
7. In a small bowl, whisk baking soda and vinegar. Set the mixer to
medium speed, add baking soda mixture and beat for ten seconds.
8. Divide the batter evenly between the pans and bake until set.

Jessie said...

Ha! Happy Birthday Luke! Alicia, you never fail to amaze me with all your talents, so I am sure you will make something work! I love the quilting project in the last post by the way! You are really good!